You may have noticed the funny-looking square barcode in our printed programme and in our sidebar. These are called QR codes – two-dimensional barcodes designed to be read by the camera on many mobile devices (with the right software installed).
In our sidebar and in our programme, our QR code links to the Programme PDF so you can download it to your smartphone.
Installing a QR code scanner
In order to scan QR codes, your mobile device must have a QR code reader installed. Instructions are included below for Android and iPhone. If your mobile device uses a different operating system, you may be able to find a QR code application online or bundled with your phone.
Installation on Android
To install a QR code scanner on an Android device, follow these instructions:
- Open the “Market” application from the Android home screen.
- Press the search button on the Android keyboard and enter ‘zxing’. Press [ENTER] to search.
- Touch the application named “Barcode Scanner”.
- Press the Install button.
- You will be prompted that the device requires elevated access to your device. Press the OK button to confirm.
- There are many other QR code readers available in the market. Just search for “QR Code” in the search bar, or browse https://market.android.com/search?q=QR+code&so=1&c=apps.
Once the application is downloaded and installed, the scanner can be launched by selecting “Barcode Scanner” from the Android home screen.
Installation on iPhone
To install a QR code scanner on an iPhone, follow these instructions:
- Open the “App Store” application from the iPhone home screen.
- Select “Search” a the bottom of the screen. Search for “QR Code”.
- There are many free QR code readers in the app store, e.g.: Scan (by QR Code City), QRCode (by connvision AG), etc.
- Touch the “Free” icon at the top of the screen. It will change to an “Install” icon.
- Touch the “Install” icon that just appeared.
- Enter your iTunes password when prompted.
Once the application is downloaded and installed, the scanner can be launched by selecting the app from the iPhone home screen.